CMU's first senior animation showcase to occur virtually

screen-shot-2020-05-14-at-6-13-37-pm
Central Michigan University's annual Animation Showcase will take place virtually on Friday, May 15. Courtesy photo from CMU 2020 Animation Showcase website

Central Michigan University's animation program will be virtually showcasing the work of its first group of seniors.

The Animation Bachelor of Fine Arts Senior Thesis Livestream will follow the annual Spring Animation Showcase online starting at 6 p.m. May 15.

"People should tune in to watch all of our talented seniors showcase their extremely well done work from the year," animation faculty member Jeremy Catarino said. "This is CMU's first round of animation seniors and what better way to celebrate them, our fine university and all of their hard work than an online animation screening for all the world to see."

The evening will start with the Spring Animation Showcase YouTube page at 6 p.m.,  followed by the Senior Thesis Livestream at 7 p.m. The Senior Thesis "Behind the Scenes" Exhibition Gallery also will be featured.

"There are digitally drawn animations, traditional medium animations such as charcoal drawing animation, 3D character development and 3D environment development for virtual gaming," Catarino said. 

According to Catarino, the showcase was greatly effected by the coronavirus. The department was still able to find a way to honor its seniors.

"We came up with dropping the courses showcase reels on the YouTube channel and then doing a live stream on our channel to celebrate the seniors capstone projects," Catarino said. "We will continue to do both showcase options in the future – online and in-person at the Park Library." 

Although the coronavirus pandemic forced the department to create a new plan, it didn't stop faculty and students from hosting their annual showcase and celebrating their seniors. 

"Nothing slows us down, not even a pandemic," Catarino said. "Come have a laugh, maybe a cry and maybe get some inspiration for animation May 15."