Special Olympics Michigan to host virtual State Summer Games

0f4a1544

The Flame of Hope sits burning during the closing ceremony of the Michigan State Games in Kelly/Shorts Stadium in this 2019 file photo.

Participants for the 2020 Special Olympics State Summer Games will still have their opportunity to compete, although it will be different. 

After the Games were postponed in late-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, Special Olympics Michigan posted on its Facebook page on June 3 the event will be held virtually for the first time in its history from July 19-25. 

Athletes will participate in a six-week at-home health and wellness training program beginning June 8 before the week-long Virtual Summer Games.

Participants are able to select three activities from nearly 20 sports they are able to play from their home including volleyball, gymnastics, basketball, weightlifting and athletics. 

Athletes are then able to send in their scores by July 22 to compare against others in the state, according to the organization's website

According to the post, Special Olympics Michigan will hold "various interactive activities" over the organization's social media channels. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies and the popular Victory Dance will be held virtually, as well.