CMU announces fall 2020 schedule changes

stockcmuseal

The Central Michigan University seal sits in front of Warriner Hall Aug. 25 on CMU's campus.

Central Michigan University's fall classes will start Aug. 17 and end Nov. 25. 

"We hope this helps to limit travel to and from campus, especially over the Thanksgiving holiday," President Bob Davies said in a June 1 press release. "In addition, by ending the semester early, we avoid peak flu season and address a possible resurgence of COVID-19, which some health experts anticipate in the colder winter months."

In order to align with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state regulations, everyone campus will be required to wear a face covering while inside buildings. In addition, social distancing is to be enforced everywhere on campus.

"All students, faculty, staff and visitors will be required to conduct a daily self-screening for symptoms of COVID-19 before coming to campus or attending class," Davies said in the press release.

The fall semester was supposed to begin two weeks later on Aug. 31 and end on Dec. 18.

According to Davies, these changes will require residence hall move-in to begin on Aug. 13 by appointment.

All face-to-face classes will be structured to follow social distancing guidelines and "include simultaneous remote access."

"Large events such as Leadership Safari, IMPACT and homecoming will be held, if we can do so safely, but they will look and feel different," Davies stated.

In addition, the new fall wellness break will be cancelled this year due to the compressed schedule. 

"Plans for December commencement are being evaluated, and the event will likely not happen on the date originally scheduled," Davies wrote. "We hope to be able to celebrate earlier or in a different format, if necessary."

More information and answers can be found on the Fall Semester Schedule Q&A.