Student Government Association transitions to virtual meetings

student-government-association-2020
The House and Senate of Central Michigan University's Student Government Association in fall 2019. (Courtesty of SGA)

As Central Michigan University eliminates in-person meetings for student organizations, what once was a large atrium full of students speaking their minds on stage and across rows of chairs morphed into the Student Government Association president giving a foreword while in her car on vacation, the vice president presenting a slide show with a weak connection, and faceless names sprawled across a screen.

Candidates for SGA's top offices answer questions over WebEx from moderators Vice President Lyndi Rose and parliamentarian Kyle Walker during SGA's digital debate Monday, March 23.

While SGA will still have its typical schedule of meetings from 7-9 p.m. on Mondays, it is relaxing requirements for its participants. If there is a scheduling conflict and you miss one of the meetings within the block, you can contact SGA Vice President Brett Houle or an Internal Affairs representative to figure out a way to still participate. This is a change from the previous year where any scheduling conflicts would not be able to be worked with.

According to Houle, office hours for SGA senators and higher-ups are still up in the air.

"We don't know what office hours are going to look like at this moment," Houle said. "One of them is supposedly going to be spent in the SGA office, but with social distancing we want to make sure we're keeping our members safe, and doing what we can to help individuals on the ground."