Local police force should focus on community during Welcome Weekend

The police are no doubt in need during Welcome Weekend. Students are squeezing the last of their summer fun into one weekend and are expected to make questionable decisions. Students drink excessively during this time.

Although being in college is not an excuse to break the law, issuing MIPs should not be the main focus of the law enforcement during Welcome Weekend. Dangerous activities such as drunk driving and fighting should be their main focus.

This year, police issued 73 MIPs during Welcome Weekend. Although the MIPs were issued out legally, it can seem more like harassment than protecting the public when so many college students are getting in trouble.

There are a few things the police can do to ensure the well being of the community is at the top of their priority list. Roadblocks should be established at entrances and exits of apartment complexes to cut down on drunk drivers. Police also should stay focused on apartment parking lots and patrol streets known for troubling parties, such as University and Main streets.

Stopping students who are walking from an apartment complex to another party takes the focus away from places that need to be monitored. Unless they are being a public nuisance or part of a disruptive crowd, small groups of people should be ignored.

The Mount Pleasant police force does a good job of keeping CMU under control during Welcome Weekend, even if it does seem excessive at times. But the police should not have their focus on issuing as many tickets as possible, even if students are caught doing something illegal.

During a time when things have the potential to be chaotic, law enforcement should be looking at the bigger picture.