Republican Senator Michelle McManus speaks at Campus Conservatives’ first meeting

conservatives
Senator Michelle A. McManus asked for the Campus Conservatives' support in her campaign for Secretary of State in 2010 at the groups first meeting Tuesday night in the Bovee University Center's Down Under Food Court.

A senator campaigning for Secretary of State made a stop at Central Michigan University on Tuesday night.

Despite the fact Campus Conservatives is no longer a recognized registered student organization, State Sen. Michelle McManus, R-Lake Leelanau and CMU alumna, spoke at the group’s first meeting of the year Tuesday in the Bovee University Center’s Down Under Food Court.

McManus is serving as state senator of the 35th district and as the assistant senate majority leader in the Michigan Senate. She also is campaigning for secretary of state in 2010.

Regular members of Campus Conservatives attended the meeting and discussed McManus’ upcoming election and other current issues, such as the Michigan Promise Scholarship, job losses and concealed weapons on campus, which she supports.

“I hope to be able to have a good line of communication with students and I’m a big believer in keeping young people involved in politics, no matter what side of the fence they’re on,” McManus said.

McManus asked for help from the Campus Conservatives to help her get nominated by coming to a delegate convention in September on Mackinac Island.

“I think she has a lot of great ideas for Michigan and she is fiscally responsible which is important, especially considering the debt we’re in,” said Campus Conservatives member and Lambertville senior Chase Canning.

After McManus answered questions, Campus Conservatives took a group picture with the senator and continued on with their regular meeting.

“We still plan to have regular meetings, even if it means meeting off campus until this gets resolved,” said Hart junior and Campus Conservatives president Bryant Greiner about the group’s current RSO status.