‘Shanks for the memories’

The Amy Otteman Memorial Classic came to an end this year with our final event on Friday, July 17. After Amy passed in May 1995 due to a stroke, we put together the AOMC 45 days later. The purpose was to raise money for nurse education and to help the family deal with our grief by having something positive happen from such a terrible tragedy.

Now, after 15 years, the AMOC has raised more than $185,000 for the Amy Otteman Memorial Scholarship at Mount Pleasant High School and for nurse education programs at Central Michigan Community Hospital. In fact, with this last event, the Amy Otteman Nurse Education Endowment has been established at CMCH, further insuring money for nurse education into the future.

The final AOMC raised $19,787.47 through its traditional golf tournament and sports memorabilia action and a couple of new special events added for this final year. The ‘Fault Family Dunk Tank Revenge’ at O’Kelly’s raised $1,177 and the ‘Pennies For Heaven’ penny collection campaign raised $6,168 through a variety of small events throughout Mount Pleasant, Central Michigan University and the greater mid-Michigan community.

The Amy Otteman family wishes to thank everyone that has been involved over the last 15 years. Your financial and emotional support has allowed us to keep Amy’s memory and giving spirit alive while also benefitting her passion — the nursing profession. From golfers to sponsors to volunteers, your efforts have not only been selfless, but have touched us in ways we cannot put into words. What we now realize is that the Amy Otteman family is not just made up of brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews, but everyone that has ever been involved with AOMC.

We can never repay you for your kindness, but can only say... shanks for the memories!

-2009 Amy Otteman Memorial Classic Even Committee and Amy’s family