Speaker Series continues to bring inspiring role models

The Speaker Series, after a one-year hiatus, is coming back with a bang.

Robert Kennedy Jr. will speak Nov. 19 in Warriner Hall’s Plachta Auditorium about energy reform and the environment. For students, this marks the return of speakers that can be inspirational and full of experiences worth sharing.

The Speaker Series has brought many memorable speakers to Central Michigan University from a multitude of backgrounds. Writer Salman Rushdie came last fall and spoke of the fatwa placed on him by Islamic leaders. Retired Gen. Wesley Clark spoke in 2007 of his military experience.

With the recent death of Edward Kennedy, Robert Kennedy Jr. is now left to be head of the family dynasty. His work on the environment and his push for energy reform sets him aside from other Kennedys, a family deeply rooted in American politics.

Kennedy is a perfect speaker to bring to CMU. As the school is attempting to reduce carbon emissions and create more ‘green’ buildings on campus, Kennedy can offer a lot of insight on what steps CMU should take. At the very least, he will inspire some students to change the world around them.

His topic of the environment and new sources of energy may be one of the most prevalent issues that our generation will have to face. President Barack Obama has said renewable energy is one of his to priorities; Kennedy will give students an insight on what they should expect in the near future.

Although the Speaker Series did well in securing Kennedy, Plachta Auditorium, at 1,200 seats, is not the venue of choice for his speech. It does not have adequate seating for a large audience. Many people are expected to attend this event and inadequate seating could sour the speech for students.

When Demetri Martin came to CMU last spring, Rose Arena provided more than enough seating and could be heard clearly by the students. The screens behind Martin also allowed students to see him from every angle no matter where they were seated. Rose Arena was provided for an entertainer; Kennedy is a speaker with an important message, and deserves the same platform Martin had. Hopefully the Speaker Series will move Kennedy and give him the space he needs.

CMU is doing a good service for students by continuing the Speaker Series. The series brought distinguished individuals to campus and is continuing this tradition by hosting Kennedy.

Students are encouraged to come Nov. 19 and listen to his ideas.