Volleyball salvages one win over weekend

The volleyball team avoided a three-match sweep at the Florida Invitational with a win Saturday over Florida A&M.

CMU beat the Rattlers in a five-set match after losing Friday to Florida State and North Dakota State.

“We did a lot of things that we had not done in preseason. That was really disappointing,” said coach Erik Olson. “We have a lot to work on but, with a young team, things tend to improve very quickly.”

Junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky led the team with 34 kills in the three games, including an 18-kill performance against Florida A&M. Her achievements earned her all-tournament honors.

“There were definitely some high-level volleyball players at this tournament,” Krupsky said. “They are bigger and hit harder than what we will see in the (Mid-American Conference), but we feel it was a great learning experience.”

Sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz had 10 blocks and 21 kills in the three-game stretch. She also was named to the all-tournament team.

“We placed Kaitlyn Schultz on the right side, and she did an excellent job of adjusting,” Olson said.

Middle blocker Danielle Gotham and outside hitter Lindsey Dulude saw the most time on the court amongst the freshmen. Gotham had 24 kills – second most on the team — and eight blocks in the tournament.

Dulude had 20 kills from the outside hitter position and led the team with four service aces.

“I would have liked to see our freshmen a little sharper,” Olson said. “We got a little lost and a little shellshocked due to the physicality of the tournament. At times, it was awesome and, at times, it was not.”

Central lost two matches in straight sets Friday. However, the win over Florida A&M was the first five-set victory since the 2007 season.

The Chippewas will head on the road again this weekend to compete at the Green Bay Invitational in Green Bay, Wisc.

“We are ready to get back in the gym and start working and getting ready for our next win,” Krupsky said. “We finished with a win that we hope will give us some momentum.”

The team plays Green Bay on Friday and Iowa and South Dakota State on Saturday.