Bongo Ball Mania features a hybrid of favorite past times

What do people get when they combine American Gladiator, laser tag, paintball and Capture the Flag?

They get Bongo Ball Mania.

Central Michigan University’s Program Board has scheduled an event that takes classic, physical competition games and combines them in a hybrid of adrenaline pumping entertainment on Monday. It will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday in Finch Fieldhouse.

Southgate freshman Quinn McNamee thinks Bongo Ball is a good event idea.

“It sounds different yet exciting,” McNamee said.

Russell Pfafflin, day time/special events worker for Program Board, said any student can participate. Admission to the event is free.

Cutting Edge Productions is the creator of Bongo Ball Mania and offers several different services around the United States. Bongo Ball Mania is one of their newest services.

Pfafflin said that this is the first year Bongo Ball Mania will be at CMU.

“It was scheduled for last year but it was canceled because of bad weather,” he said.

Pfafflin said Bongo Ball was scheduled again this year because the student body interest was high enough to try it again.

How the game is played Two teams of five players are dressed wearing matching protective uniforms and helmets. Each team also gets a Defender Air Cannon that fires Nerf footballs to use against their opponents.

“Students can come in groups, or odds and ends of people will be put into groups,” Pfaffin said.

Players can hide under, behind and around obstacles as they attempt to advance through the Bongo Ball battlefield.

They must make it through the Nerf ball infested war zone to capture their opponent’s flag in order to win the game.

Marenisco sophomore John Powell said Bongo Ball sounds like it would be a good time.

“It would be a real fun and aggressive sport that you could get competitive with friends about,” he said.

Powell said he agrees that Bongo Ball is a good event for the Program Board to put on.

“I think it would have a good turnout and people would have a lot of fun with it.”

For more information on Bongo Ball Mania, contact the CMU Program Board at 774-3174, or visit the Cutting Edge Productions Web site at cuttingedgepi.com.