Presidential search talk today in EHS Building

Students have a chance today to voice their opinions on what they would like to see in a university president.

The Student Government Association will host an open forum regarding the presidential search at 7 p.m. today in French Auditorium in the Education and Human Services Building Room 118.

Members of the presidential screening committee will be in attendance, including Trustee Sarah Opperman, former Chairman of Academic Senate and Interim Associate EHS Dean Ray Francis and Rick Barz, President of Isabella Bank and Trust and community member at large.

If you go What: Student forum on presidential search When: 7 p.m. today Where: EHS Building’s French Auditorium

“Students are, at the end of the day, why we need a president,” Opperman said. “It is absolutely critical that we understand the needs of the student. We want to have the president in place for some time. I’m thrilled that the SGA is organizing this and I’m very eager to get the students’ perspective.”

Former University President Michael Rao, who served since 2000, left June 30 to become president of Virginia Commonwealth University. Kathy Wilbur has served as interim since.

SGA President Jason Nichol will mediate discussion today.

“The main goal is to get as much student input as possible,” the Mount Pleasant senior said. “The president obviously has a huge impact on the students. It’s part of our duty as a member of the university community to provide input. We’re excited about this and we want to get student input now because we’re beginning to review resumes and applications.

“The screening committee is very, very interested in what the students have to offer, and I can’t stress that enough.”

Vital for satisfaction

Detroit junior Shayna Burden thinks students going to the forum is important for the final outcome.

“I think it’s vital to the students satisfaction with the choice. For the university to just choose, I wouldn’t say is harmful, but it wouldn’t be beneficial,” she said. “At least if something were to go wrong, we can say we had the input.”

One of the key issues a new president will deal with is the medical school, approved last year and scheduled to open in 2012.

”Specifics like that have not been addressed yet,” Nichol said. “Our goal as the screening committee is to provide the institution with the best possible president. We’ll be taking into account a broad amount of experiences and attributes.”

In addition to the search committee, SGA will be involved in this discussion, with representatives and senators in attendance, Nichol said.

“If you’re interested, please show up,” Nichol said. “Whether or not you realize it, this is something that will impact you.”

The president affects the direction and vision of the institution, Nichol said.

“If you have a gripe with the med school, you should be there,” he said. “If you have an issue with diversity or anything at all, you should be there giving input.”