Rider shuts out field hockey 3-0

After beginning the season with a 3-0 win over Colgate, the field hockey team’s undefeated record lasted less than 24 hours.

The team played its second contest of the young season Saturday, losing 3-0 to Rider in New York.

“Rider is a very good team,” coach Cristy Freese said. “We knew that going into the game. They were a 2-0 team before we met them. They are a better team than they have been in the past.”

Sophomore Megan Pisani started off the scoring for the Broncos on a deflection just nearly seven minutes in. The score would remain 1-0 until freshman Jackie Adams would bury a rebound in the back of the cage to give Rider a 2-0 lead heading into the half.

“I think we made some good adjustments at halftime,” Freese said. “We felt that we could stop them better than we were stopping them so we moved Kim Erasmus up field because we felt she could help.”

Pisani would score again in the second half, making the final score 3-0.

“They played really aggressive and I felt that they were an explosive team.” Freese said. “They packed ten players in the scoring circle and we just had a difficult time getting in there. In the second half we didn’t come up with a lot of shots at all. We just couldn’t get that breakaway where we would have a three on two or something like that.”

The Chippewas were held to four shots in the first half and did not register a shot attempt for the first 29 minutes of the second half. The team finished the game with just six shots, compared to Rider’s 14.

While the team’s record is just 1-1 on the young season, senior Kim Erasmus doesn’t believe that this loss will do anything for the team's mentality.

“I don’t think that this game does anything for our confidence,” she said. “We just have to work hard and come out strong next week.”

The Chippewas will be back in action against Miami a 3 p.m. Friday in Oxford, Ohio.