Rose Arena renovations leaves spring commencement looking for a home

University officials are looking for a place to hold spring commencement ceremonies.

Rose Arena is typically the location for the ceremonies, but planned renovations forced officials to seek another destination to send students off.

“Basically, right now, what the university is doing is looking at other possible options for holding May commencement ceremonies,” said Director of Public Relations Steve Smith. “We would certainly want to keep it in Mount Pleasant.”

Smith said the locations are not yet narrowed down, but a decision will be made in the next few months.

At the Board of Trustees meeting July 16, interim University President Kathy Wilbur said her biggest concern about the renovation is spring commencement.

“We are considering right now a couple of different plans to manage commencement next May. As we sit here now, we don’t have that plan nailed down — we want to have a discussion with the faculty, Academic Senate, etc.,” she said.

Construction on the $21.5 million event center is scheduled to begin in the fall and to be completed in the fall of 2010.

In August, Athletics Director Dave Heeke said the 2010 volleyball season will be the only season displaced from Rose Arena because of the renovations.

The Event Center and renovations will add a main entrance to the arena, a practice gym and seating revamp. December commencement will still take place in Rose Arena.