Volleyball beats Illinois-Chicago in straight sets

The volleyball team won in Illinois-Chicago on Tuesday, taking the match in straight sets.

The team took each of the sets by a minimum of seven points and averaged over four service aces per set.

“We were extremely aggressive and we dictated the flow of the match. Our serving was pretty unbelievable,” said coach Erik Olson. “It kept the other team on their toes and allowed us to have easy balls to play.”

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Krupsky led the Chippewas with four service aces. She had one service error.

“I just try to go up there and serve aggressively,” Krupsky said. “Today, they were coming up as aces."

Krupsky also tied with sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz with 11 kills to lead the floor.

“We pretty much always had someone either open or on a one-on-one block,” Olson said. “We were in the driver’s seat the entire match. That is the danger of CMU volleyball.”

Schultz and senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Hurt both hit over .550 from the floor. Hurt had nine kills and added two aces to the team’s total.

Senior setter Stephanie Budde stepped in to the setter role that continues to be up for competition this season. Budde played all three sets and connected on 34 set assists.

“I felt really confident with her sets tonight,” Hurt said. “No matter where they were coming from I felt like I could get a good shot off them.”

Defensively, the Chippewas found a rhythm against the Flames. Central had 39 digs and six team blocks.

The team has a short break before heading down to Texas to compete in the Sam Houston State Invitational on Friday. The tournament will be the last competition before conference play begins.