CMU soccer team is having an outstanding season so far

The CMU football team has had an excellent year so far.

But it is not the only Central sports team flourishing in the Mid-American Conference this fall.

The CMU soccer team has had an outstanding season so far as well. It is on an 11-game winning streak, all of which are shutouts.

The women are playing exceptionally. The team is dominating the MAC, winning all eight games so far and outscoring conference opponents 18-0. Overall, the team is 13-3-0.

Star players include goalkeeper Shay Mannino, who has won 12 games this season, 11 of them shutouts. Laura Twidle has 16 points. Molly Gerst and Chelsi Abbott have 10 points each.

The entire team is playing solid, with 12 different players scoring for the Chippewas. The team is aggressive this year, and it is reflected in their stats. CMU has an average of 1.88 goals made per game, with 16.1 shots made per game. Opponents have a .56 average of scoring on CMU and average 7.9 shots. CMU has nearly double the stats opponents average every game.

Coach Tom Anagnost, in his first full year after replacing a dismissed Tony DiTucci, has these women playing hard. And if they continue their winning streak, they will play every game in the championship tournament at home, forcing opposing teams to travel to Mount Pleasant. Having won all eight home games at the CMU Soccer Complex, this would bode well.

The team will host Bowling Green at 4 p.m. Friday and Toledo at 1 p.m. Sunday. These will be the last home games for the season. Students are encouraged to attend and cheer on their winning soccer team behind Kelly/Shorts Stadium. After all, the football team is on the road this weekend (at Bowling Green on Saturday).

That also should continue throughout the MAC Tournament, where CMU will be a strong contender.