Math center opening in Grawn Hall will bring resources closer to students

A new Math Assistance Center opened today in Grawn Hall to bring resources closer to students.

In Grawn Hall Room 112, students can find help with math, particularly in business. The other math center, in Troutman Hall, is still available.

Many believe the new center is in a better spot on campus for students to study business and math.

“We’re placing it in a location where a number of students can take their classes,” said Dean of Students Bruce Roscoe. “Before, the math center was closest to freshmen. But now, it is available to other students.”

Grawn 112 Math Assistance Center hours: • Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. • Monday-Wednesday: 5 to 9 p.m. Troutman 002 Math Assistance Center hours: • Monday-Thursday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. • Sunday: 5 to 9 p.m.

• Students agree the addition of a math center closer to them is beneficial.

“It’s a good idea, because walking to the Towers can be a problem, especially if you’re short on time,” said Flint senior Masani McGee.

The center is known as the “Mini Mac,” and is made to help on courses such as MTH 107: College Algebra, MATH 217: Business Calculus and STA 282: Introduction to Statistics, said Linda Wicander, director of Student Services for the College of Business Administration.

The Grawn math center is open from 11 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday.

“The students themselves have requested additional help,” Wicander said. “Often students have those classes and must be provided the resources.”

Numbers add up

The math center, however, came at a price.

“Just for the usage (of the center), $7,000 is just an estimate,” Roscoe said. “The Dean of (the College of Business Administration) office will fund it for a year. Then we determine based on the data we gather in a year, on whether to keep it or not.”

The students who swayed those into adding another center must now keep it going by encouraging students to use it.

“There will be at least two tutors at all times,” Roscoe said, “with MTH 217 and the statistics class.”

The math center is available for all who come to use its resources.

“This was marketed to students in business,” Roscoe said. “However, it is available to all students.”