Multicultural Greeks form council to fit needs

multiculturalgreekcouncil-srp-041
Sean Proctor/Staff Photographer Southgate senior Andrew Walton voices his opinion during the Multicultural Greek Council meeting at 8 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 18th in the University Center Maroon Room. The Multicultural Greek Council is made up of one fraternity, Sigma Lambda Beta and two sororities, Sigma Lambda Gamma and 12 C.A.R.A.T.S. (Celebrating Amity & Reflecting Asian Traditions).

For years, some multicultural Greeks felt they did not have a specified place in the Central Michigan University Greek system.

“The Multicultural Greek Council was founded for governing the Greeks that don’t have mention in NPHC, Pan Hellenic Council or IFC,” said Saginaw sophomore Rodney Austin. “We wanted to create something for us that we could have here at CMU, so we created our own guidelines, bylaws, rules and regulations, constitution, and put it together.”

This is MGC’s first semester as a council, and council president Miguel De Jesus said MGC plans to use its diverse membership to fill the void between the Interfraternity, Panhellenic and National Pan-Hellenic councils.

“We’re sort of in the middle and that gives us the perfect opportunity to bring people together that wouldn’t normally come together,” the Sturgis junior said. “We’re different and we have the power and presence to make the change.”

Southgate senior Andrew Walton said the differences are what make MGC and, instead of being ashamed and hiding them, it does the opposite.

“We embrace our differences and we embrace it with a full heart, that’s what we are all about,” Walton said.

What MGC is

The Multicultural Greek Council is a triad made up of Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity, Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority and 12 C.A.R.A.T.S. sorority.

Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma are historically Latino organizations and became chapters at CMU in the early 1990s.

“We were founded on the same principles of community service, cultural awareness and social interaction,” said Chelsea Calton, Fowlerville senior and a Sigma Lambda Gamma member.

Formed in 2004 with help from Minority Student Services, 12 C.A.R.A.T.S. is a sorority that places an emphasis on Asian cultural awareness.

“12 C.A.R.A.T.S is an acronym, Celebrating Amity and Reflecting Asian Traditions through Sisterhood, which describes what we’re about,” Grand Blanc senior Jessica Porritt.

Sigma Lambda Gamma member Stacey Bush said the variety of cultures and backgrounds within the council and its members, gives comfort to students who may feel they do not fit the sorority or fraternity norm.

“We’re about empowerment,” the Grand Blanc junior said. “We’re here for those who feel like they don’t have a place on campus.”

MGC works toward the elimination in the noticeable divide in Greek programming by sponsoring events that are aimed toward everyone.

The council hosted its first program, Culture Shock, a few weeks ago, which allowed students of different backgrounds to share and discuss common stereotypes.