No buses chartering students to football game at Western this year

Those looking to support Central Michigan University football this weekend against Western Michigan will have to find their own transportation.

Though there was a bus trip available to Kalamazoo in 2007 for the Tuesday game at WMU, that option is not available this year to students.

“In 2007, it was a big controversy because the MAC scheduled that game on a (Tuesday) night,” said Director of Student Life Tony Voisin. “It was one of those situations where students from Western or Central weren’t happy that it was scheduled during the week. We scheduled the trip to give students the opportunity to attend the game.”

Facebook us! • Use your voice: Do you think CMU should offer bus rides to Western Michigan and back Saturday for the rivalry game? Fan CM Life on Facebook and tell us.

In 2007, the bus trip cost $20 and was co-sponsored by the office of Student Life and the CMU Bookstore. The cost included a ticket to the game and a bus trip from Lot 64 behind Kelly/Shorts Stadium to Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo and back.

A trip from Mount Pleasant to Kalamazoo takes approximately two hours and 20 minutes, according to MapQuest.

“For a weekend game, we figure that students are going to go down for the weekend and make a trip out of it, so it doesn’t make sense to schedule a bus trip in that situation,” Voisin said. “Our concern was on a Wednesday night that students would be coming home at 1:30 in the morning after the game, and that is why a couple different offices decided to offer that trip.”

Students want buses

Port Hope senior Brooke Arndt said she thinks the buses should have been offered again this year.

“We have a really good football team and they should have as many people in the stands as they can get for (quarterback) Dan LeFevour’s last game against our big rivals,” Arndt said. “It would be kind of cool for a big group of students to all ride down to the game together. It promotes Central pride.”

Negaunee senior Jenny Rauch said the bus trip is a cheaper alternative for students.

“Not everyone wants to go to Western for the entire weekend,” Rauch said. “Some people just want to watch the game and come back. I know I wouldn’t want to pay for a hotel room if I didn’t have anyone to stay with at Western.”

Charlotte junior Alex Sommer said the bus would be a safer alternative for people to get back to Mount Pleasant after partying at Western.

“The school ruined our tailgate, so they should at least give us an opportunity to go someplace where the tailgate is going to be fun,” Sommer said. “A bus would make sure that everyone gets to and from the game safely.”