November speakers should be fun, great for students

Program Board made a good impression this week by announcing it was bringing three informative and entertaining speakers to Central Michigan University in November.

Two of the speakers are high-profile comedians Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter of Comedy Central’s “Michael and Michael Have Issues.” The third speaker is journalist and author Chuck Klosterman.

We commend Program Board for bringing speakers of great student interest to CMU.

Black and Showalter are scheduled to speak in Plachta Auditorium at 7 p.m. Nov. 4. Though the two are comedians, they will not perform standup. Instead, they will speak about their show and incorporating comedy into their speech.

Klosterman, the author of “Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto,” is scheduled to speak at 7 p.m. Nov. 30 in Plachta Auditorium. He has written for Spin and Esquire magazines. Both events seem intriguing and will hopefully attract many students.

Fabolous was the first big show that Program Board, in conjunction with On The Fly Productions, put on this year and it was a flop. Attendance was low, ambience was poor and Fabolous’ DJ mistakenly referred to CMU as Michigan State.

It’s great to see Program Board heading in a new direction with the entertainment it is bringing to campus.

Trey Parker, the creator of South Park, came to CMU a few weeks ago and was a big hit with students. He paid his way to Mount Pleasant and was intellectually stimulating. Hopefully, the speakers coming in November will have the same effect Parker had when he visited CMU.

Some students may not be too familiar with any of the speakers. But with backgrounds they have, it should be enough to attract a good audience to at least come out and hear what they have to say.

Next month will be the true test of how well Program Board is spending its money. From how it currently stands, Program Board is heading in the right direction by diversifying the people they’re bringing to campus.

Chances are the gamble will pay off.