Tobacco companies are marketing new products to minors

Tobacco companies are creating smokeless products for the market and utilizing social networks such as Twitter and Facebook to reach a younger audience.

They are mainly trying to market their products to children and teenagers so they will start smoking younger. They should not be doing that.

These companies are trying to diversify their products by creating smokeless and spitless tobacco. Camel has designed Camel Orbs, pellets that are shaped like Tic Tacs that fulfill the need for a tobacco buzz. Camel strips and Camel sticks are similar to gum and candy cigarettes. These products are a response to a society constantly pushing to become smokeless. Many places in public no longer allow people to smoke cigarettes, including restaurants and bars.

There’s nothing wrong with Big Tobacco trying to create these new products. But marketing these products to younger audiences is wrong.

The smokeless products are shaped just like candy, making it obvious that tobacco companies are trying to get younger people hooked on their products. If a young child swallows such a product, it could be disastrous.

Companies also are using social networking to advance their products. Since young people are the forerunners of such Web sites, Big Tobacco will bombard them with images of cigarettes and similar products.

Kids are unaware of the dangers of tobacco. They are constantly growing and changing, and the world is a strange and confusing place. They are easy to manipulate, and Big Tobacco is taking advantage of them. Companies should have to face the same penalties that everyone else does when cigarettes are solicited to children.

This is not to say the products are bad and don’t have a place. Many adults aware of the repercussions of tobacco products will probably adapt to these products. Many public places are banning smoking cigarettes. Even entire cities are outlawing smoking cigarettes anywhere in public. These products will allow adults to get their fix without having to light up, avoiding complaints from surrounding people.

It may be impossible to stop tobacco companies from using social networks, where millions of kids and teenagers will see tobacco products. In the end, it is up to the person to decide whether to use tobacco products.

But these strategies are on the verge of manipulating children and teenagers against the will of their parents. Educating the young on the dangers of tobacco only goes so far.

Tobacco companies should be careful when going young in their marketing. We understand you have businesses to run, but children’s well beings are at stake.