CMU needs to address garbage around campus

Central Michigan University needs more trash cans in better locations on campus.

The campus gets so overridden with trash that it has become necessary to have campus clean-up days to offer some sort of solution to the problem.

One group of students hosted its own campus clean-up day and picked up sixteen 10-gallon bags of garbage in less than three hours.

Listening to the students on campus, many of them are concerned about the amount of litter that exists.

While the cans next to the buildings are helpful, there are not enough of them in the places that they are most needed.

It is sad to say but, when students do not have a place to throw their trash, many throw it on the ground. By giving them a place to dispose of their garbage, Central will have a much cleaner campus. Having trash on the ground when admissions tours come through give Central a bad and dirty image.

That is not the kind of image Central should have.

A possible solution for this issue is adding trash cans to the most highly trafficked areas.

Some of the biggest locations that need attention are the commuter lots.

This was the area the students really focused on during their clean-up day.

The commuter lots have a very limited number of trash cans in the surrounding area.

One possible solution is adding waste receptacles to the light posts in the parking lots. Though these added trash cans would not solve the entire problem, but it would be a start.

Nicholas D. Smith Rochester sophomore