CMU not allowed to provide celebrities with ‘weird items’ like booze, cigarettess

Condoms, cigarettes, lighters and alcohol are among the list of things some performers ask for when they come to Central Michigan University.

Yet all of those things are crossed off because CMU and other public colleges are not allowed to purchase those items for the performers.

CMU is a state-funded school, so it prohibits those purchases with the state funds, said Dani Hiar, On the Fly Productions adviser and the coordinator of Graphic Design. A private school, on the other hand, could supply those things.

Coordinator of Student Activities Damon Brown said when entertainers come, it is usually already established.

“Most artists understand that this is not a night club,” said Damon Brown. “They understand the rules and are comfortable with it.”

Director of University Events Bob Ebner said most weird items are crossed off of the contract.

“We have a contract that states we cannot purchase alcohol with university funds,” Ebner said.

Some performers even ask for offbeat things such as a certain type or color of car to pick them up and even ask for a certain color of couch to be put in their dressing room. Those things, too, are crossed off the list by CMU.

“We have a standard budget the event comes out of,” Ebner said.

Most performers tend to bring their own cigarettes or alcohol.

“We have never had someone argue with us about our policy,” Ebner said. ”It isn’t up to us to supply those types of things.”

If a performer asks for something weird that is supposed to be part of the show, the item can be supplied.

Ebner said performers coming to CMU do not find the policy difficult to deal with. No performer is going to give up money because they cannot have a fifth of booze. Ebner said he is surprised, though, if someone does not ask for alcohol.

Nashville junior Kyle Pash said he does not think the university should have to pay for the extras a performer needs because of the cost already associated with them.

“I think it’s alright, because CMU is paying for the facilities, paying for the performers, and supplying the audience for the performer,” Pash said.