Moving May 2010 graduation from Rose Arena to Kelly/Shorts Stadium is a good move

Graduation ceremonies at Central Michigan University are typically held in Rose Arena.

But because of ongoing renovations to create the CMU Events Center, officials decided to move May 2010 graduation next door to Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

The university deserves credit for keeping it nearby and not moving it outside of Mount Pleasant, as originally feared. Furthermore, the move allows students to invite an unlimited number of family and friends — solving a yearly graduation issue.

Rose Arena is the usual location for commencement. But work on the events center began in September and will be amid internal renovations come spring and summer, making the arena unsuitable for ceremonies.

With approximately 3,700 students graduating in May, university officials would be taking full advantage of Kelly/Shorts Stadium’s 30,295 seats. Director of Public Relations Steve Smith expects a larger crowd than usual for the upcoming graduation because of one pesky nuisance previous graduating classes had to deal with — tickets.

When ceremonies were in Rose Arena, they were typically split into three, and students were limited to six tickets each for family and friends because of limited space in the arena. That meant a lot of graduating seniors going around, asking others for extra tickets so more family and friends could come see them walk for their diploma.

With thousands more seats at Kelly/Shorts, that problem is nixed. Students can invite however many people they would like.

Weather concerns

Despite the benefits of the graduation switch-up, there are still concerns. Even though Kelly/Shorts Stadium is a great choice for the May 2010 graduation, the university should still look for other possible locations in case of inclement weather.

As of right now, graduation will be held rain or shine. But Michigan is notorious for its abrupt change in weather. Rain, or even snow, in May is certainly possible.

With Kelly/Shorts Stadium being open, that could ruin graduation day for a lot of people.

“People would be able to bring umbrellas into the stadium with them, which they cannot do for football games,” said Steve Smith, director of public relations. While the gesture is nice, students and families should not have to put up with precipitation on a special day.

One location that comes to mind is Finch Fieldhouse but, with room for just around 4,700 people, that would not be ideal for guests to attend. The Indoor Athletic Complex could be another possible location, although it is nowhere near as big as Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Both those alternatives would have to split into three ceremonies and reinstate tickets for family and friends.

Kelly/Shorts should be good enough. But the university needs to have a better backup plan, especially with Michigan’s reputation for bad luck.