Race for 2nd Base raise more than expected goal

Sarah Cardon may have coordinated Sunday’s Race for 2nd Base 5k run, but she did it for more than her RPL 340: Therapeutic Recreation: Developmental Disabilities class.

“My grandma and aunt both had breast cancer and were both survivors so that was really important to me,” the Mount Pleasant junior said.

The class partnered with Central Michigan District Health Department to raise money for breast and cervical cancer screening. The CMDHD has a program for women between the ages of 40 and 64 to receive screening and tests for breast and cervical cancer.

Through entry fees and donations from local businesses, the class surpassed its goal of $300, although the students did not have the exact total.

Cardon hoped race participants would have fun, but realize the class’s goal was to help breast and cervical cancer survivors and patients.

“It’s important to the racers but it’s important to us also,” Cardon said.

Many of the 67 participants also had personal reasons for running.

“My aunt had breast cancer and beat it,” said Macomb junior Molly Deslandes. “I keep it close to my heart and any way I can get out there to do things, I will.”

Seniors Sydney Walsh of Royal Oak and Ashley Linden of Rochester Hills were the first females and Clarkston junior Jacob Winbigler was the first male and first person to cross the finish line.

“I did the race just to do it,” Winbigler said. “It felt great to pass it first.”

The race wrapped around campus and every participant received a T-shirt and a medal when they crossed the finish line.