CMU wrestling team faces injuries, Borrelli's son

The CMU wrestling team will look to fill the holes injuries have left in the roster as it returns to Rose Arena at 2 p.m. Sunday to take on Stanford.

Another familiar face is returning to Rose Arena as well. CMU coach Tom Borrelli’s son, Jason, is the head coach at Stanford, and he returns to Rose Arena after assisting his father at CMU prior to 2007. And Tom Borrelli said he is hoping for a warm welcome for his son.

“I hope we can have a good crowd,” he said. “We are excited to be back at home and, hopefully, we can see people come out to watch us.”

The Chippewas are coming off a disappointing 1-2 showing at National Duals as four wrestlers had to sit out the last match with injuries. Freshmen 149-pounder Justin McDermitt, 157-pounder Donnie Corby and 184-pounder Raylen Davis combined for one win in the eight matches they competed in.

“The guys who have the opportunity to wrestle need to step up and perform well,” Borrelli said. “And, hopefully, they can gain some valuable experience.”

Carrying the load for CMU is senior 125-pounder Matt Steintrager with a 12-3 record, sophomore 133-pounder Scotti Sentes with an 11-3 record and sophomore heavyweight Jarod Trice with a 14-1 record. The three have combined for just three losses in dual competitions.

“We are competitive, even with the injuries,” Trice said. “We are going to go out and compete as hard as we can and try to shut Stanford out.”

Stanford stays busy

Stanford has a busy weekend scheduled, as the team will take on Michigan State and Eastern Michigan at the Spartan Duals on Saturday before heading to Mount Pleasant.

The Cardinal have only one ranked wrestler in 184-pound junior Zack Giesen. He will not go up against junior 184-pounder Mike Miller, who will miss the match with an injury.

Central met Stanford earlier this season at the Midlands tournament. Stanford finished 16th overall and had one wrestler finish in the top eight. CMU finished third with seven wrestlers in the top eight.

The only match that featured Central against Stanford at the Midlands tournament was a 3-1 victory for senior 165-pounder Tyler Grayson over sophomore Nick Amuchastegui.

“We should be able to go out and dominate them,” Trice said. “We will need to go out and get it done in our lower weight classes, and then see how it goes from there.”