Music shifting to digital, vinyl maintains popularity

music-pc-011
Paige Calamari/Staff Photographer Holland junior Nicholas Visser shops Saturday night at Justice Records, 617 N. Mission St. Visser purchases vinyl records because he believes they have a better sound quality.

The music industry is constantly changing.

Overall music purchases in 2009 in the United States saw a 2.1 percent increase over 2008. Last year saw a huge increase in vinyl record sales and digital album sales, according to a Nielsen music press release.

Heather Polinsky, a broadcast and cinematic arts assistant professor, said the increase in digital music sales is due to the convenience of MP3 players rather than the quality of sound in music.

“A properly trained ear can honestly tell the difference in sound when comparing digital music to CDs and vinyl records,” Polinsky said. “I believe more people are turning to digital music because it’s far more convenient to download music and listen to it on an MP3 player.”

Also, purchasing a song is more affordable than purchasing an entire CD, and transferring music to a portable MP3 player makes listening to music easier, she said.

In 2009, U.S. digital album sales reached an all-time high with more than 76 million online sales, a 16.1 percent increase over the units sold in 2008. Digital music accounted for 40 percent of all total U.S. music purchases in 2009, the release stated.

While digital music is booming, vinyl records and turntables also are gaining sales.

Vinyl albums saw a 33 percent increase in sales in 2009, selling 2.5 billion, up from 1.88 billion the previous year, according to Nielsen’s statement. CD sales are down by 12.7 percent.

Rorik Brooks opened Justice Records, 617 N. Mission St., on Jan. 4 and said vinyl records are here to stay.

“It’s the ‘artwork’ and experience of gaining a rare or new album that keeps people interested in vinyl records,” Brooks said. “With digital music, people can’t experience the connection of owning a tangible object.”

He said the increase in sales stems from the tangible value of purchasing vinyl records and the atmosphere of local record shops.

Polinsky agreed vinyl will be around for a while.

“Well, hip hop music is really going to keep vinyl records alive,” she said. “The sound of ‘scratching’ a record can only be produced with a turntable and vinyl record.”