On the Fly Productions will disband after this semester, Big Sean and Mike Posner coming in February

On the Fly Productions will no longer exist following the spring 2010 semester.

The program’s termination is a byproduct of budget cuts, Public Relations Chairwoman Amanda Rippin said at a meeting Sunday.

“It’s going to be hard, but we had a great run,” the Macomb senior said.

On The Fly was created in spring 1996 with the goal of providing free, non-alcohol related entertainment on campus.

Rippin has been a member of OTF for four years, and said she will miss the students’ reactions to OTF’s programs.

“The energy from the shows is amazing,” she said. “Everyone’s always so pumped from the entertainment.”

Detroit sophomore Darryl Maxwell has been a member of OTF for three years and said he is not sure what he is going to do when it ends.

“I’m saddened by the news,” he said. “I had high expectations for the program coming into my senior year.”

Rippin said some members have indicated they will join Program Board after OTF ends.

Big Sean and Mike Posner

One of the organization’s last acts before it dissolves will bring hip hop artist Big Sean and singer Mike Posner to Central Michigan University’s Plachta Auditorium on Feb. 25 at 8 p.m. Tickets went on sale Jan. 13 and, already, the show is sold out.

Music Chairman Eric Steiner said there are no bigger venues the event can be moved to.

Steiner, a Niles sophomore, said the decision to bring Posner and Big Sean to CMU came following students’ suggestions. A Facebook group “Bring Mike Posner to CMU” was started and, to date, has more than 1,100 members.

Maxwell said he once met Big Sean and was impressed by his humility and the fact he was successful despite his upbringing in Detroit.

“Detroit is a pretty rough city,” Maxwell said. “To see a dude who made it from nothing become something (is inspirational).”

Despite the excitement about Big Sean and Mike Posner, Rippin said she will miss the work On the Fly does.

“I love programming and bringing entertainment to students,” she said. “I feel like students really appreciate what we do.”

Rippin said a formal press release announcing OTF’s cut will be released in the coming week. However, there are still events planned for the spring semester.