Unity ball a fun dance towards end of MLK week

Unity is what Martin Luther King Jr. strived for and what Central Michigan University hopes to bring during Martin Luther King Jr. Week.

“I have been to the Unity Ball I don’t know how many times now,” said Norma Bailey, professor of teacher education and professional development. “I really enjoy it.”

The 18th annual Unity Ball will take place from 6 to 9 p.m. next Friday in the Bovee University Center Rotunda Room. Attendees will enjoy dinner, a play and dancing.

Tickets are offered in advance for $15 at the Minority Students Services Office or $7 beginning at 8 p.m. at the door for the dance only.

“I originally went for (myself) because I believe it’s important to support all the various groups on campus,” Bailey said. “I try to do a variety of different things for myself to learn, grow and to feel more comfortable.”

Interim Assistant Director of Minority Student Services Lester Booker Jr., said a band called Modern Tribe will perform.

Modern Tribe is from Detroit and has played for the Unity Ball for several years, Booker said.

“It’s a lovely evening and really fun to see everyone dressed up and just having a really good time,” Bailey said.

Everyone is welcome to come, Booker said. He said it’s a statewide event and people come from all over, not just CMU.

“I don’t believe it should be seen as just a dance for blacks or MLK,” Bailey said. “So I encourage all my students to go; if we are going to be calling it a Unity Ball, then we should be coming together.”

The Unity Ball usually draws about 200-250 people, Booker said. It is the last event on campus to celebrate MLK Week.

“I would encourage everyone who believes in us learning and growing together to come and enjoy an evening together,” Bailey said.