Wrestling team opens MAC schedule against Eastern Michigan

stanford-mms-023
(Matthew Stephens/Senior photographer)

The CMU wrestling team opens Mid-American Conference competition against Eastern Michigan at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti.

CMU has defeated the Eagles in 18 consecutive matches.

Last season, the Chippewas allowed four takedowns in the match. In contrast, last year’s 174-pounder Mike Miller had six takedowns against EMU. Scotti Sentes had five, Tyler Grayson four and Jarod Trice four.

“They are probably going to be running from us,” said 149-pound senior Tony D’Alie. “They are not going to want to wrestle us very hard. They are going to try and keep it close and get a last-second takedown.”

The Eagles are coming off a 26-15 loss to Stanford, a team CMU defeated 33-6 on Sunday. EMU had three individual wins against the Cardinal before heavyweight senior David Wade was awarded a win because of an injury forfeit.

“We have been pushing our guys pretty hard in practice this week and we want to see it pay off,” said coach Tom Borrelli. “We want to go down there and set the stage for the MAC Tournament.”

Eastern Michigan has yet to win a home dual this season and has an overall record of 7-7-1 in dual matches.

D’Alie’s return

D’Alie returned to the mat Jan. 17 against Stanford after missing about two weeks with an injured knee.

“I feel pretty healthy,” D’Alie said. “I was off the mat for about two weeks before wrestling against Stanford. (It) was really important for me to do well at that match.”

D’Alie now will open conference play as an underdog in one of the MAC’s deepest weight classes. D’Alie came into the season ranked fourth in the conference behind 149-pound junior J.J. Johnson of Eastern Michigan.

“I was ranked fourth in the MAC coming in,” D’Alie said. “I need to step my game up and show them where I am supposed to be ranked.”

Central likely will be without 184-pound junior Mike Miller and 157-pound senior Steve Brown as they remain out with injuries.

Central has a 9-2 record in dual matches this season. The team will have a week off after the match against EMU before facing Old Dominion and Virginia Tech on the road.

“We have got to motivate our guys and remind them that they only get so many times to compete,” Borrelli said. “Especially our seniors, who only have a month or two left. They are going to want to perform well regardless of who we are playing.”