Scheduling books cease production, fall registration moving completely to CMU Portal

Central Michigan University will move the registration process completely online.

The summer 2010 class schedule booklets, already published and distributed, are the last hard copy schedule books, said Registrar Karen Hutslar.

She said the Registrar’s Office has considered making the change for a while and reached an official decision last week.

“We’re finding fewer students are picking up hard copies of the class schedule and many are heading straight to the Portal to register for courses,” Hutslar said. “We think the changes will be better for the students’ needs — and the environment.”

Small cut

The university will save about $20,000, said Interim Provost Gary Shapiro. He said the decision is not affected by recent university budget cuts.

“There’s some minor budget saving — it doesn’t really affect the budget enough to mean anything,” Shapiro said. “It will cut back on printing and delivering the schedules that students hardly use.”

The office of Information Technology is already in the process of updating the CMU Portal course search and is working to have the fall 2010 course schedules available online in March.

The course schedule will be available as a PDF file and, as new course schedules release, older schedules will transition to an archive page, still available for viewing.

“I think the students will like the changes that are going to be made — we’re going to have more filters, make schedule planning and seeing what pre-requisites are needed easier,” Hutslar said.