Wrestling team looks to stay undefeated in all-time series vs. Buffalo

The CMU wrestling team has never lost to Buffalo heading into its match Sunday against the Bulls in Buffalo, N.Y.

CMU is 14-0 all-time against the Bulls, and senior 197-pounder Eric Simaz said the team is focused on earning each individual match win.

“Just not getting too overconfident and just making sure we do what we need to do first,” he said. “Winning the match first, and then we’ll focus on the bonus points.” Simaz takes on Buffalo junior Jimmy Hamel, who defeated him last season at the Mid-American Conference Championship. Simaz beat Hamel 7-4 in last year’s dual in Mount Pleasant on Jan. 31 2009.

Hamel is 23-8 on the season and has wins against three wrestlers who were ranked at the time of the match.

Simaz said he just needs to focus on himself and he will not have to worry about Hamel. “(Wrestle) my match and (do) what I know works for me and not (come) in careless,” he said.

Simaz is No. 4 in the MAC, but has the chance to take out the top three seeds, as Hamel is the top seed.

CMU coach Tom Borrelli said all the wrestlers need to keep their focus on each match because of the seeding.

“These next three matches are pretty important with seeding at the MAC Tournament, so we want to get our guys seeded as high as possible,” he said.

There will be one match between ranked opponents as No. 7 133-pound sophomore Scotti Sentes takes on No. 19 Kevin Smith, third on Buffalo with 22 wins on the season. The Bull’s season wins leader, 149-pounder Desi Green, is not expected to wrestle after being injured in Buffalo’s match against Eastern Michigan on Feb. 3. Central will go into the weekend with two options at 157 pounds and 165.

At 157 pounds, senior Steve Brown could make his first appearance since Dec. 29 but, if he cannot wrestle, redshirt freshman Donnie Corby will.

Corby is 5-2 in his last seven matches after losing his first four matches when he moved into the starting lineup.

At 165 pounds, it is between senior Tyler Grayson and sophomore Eric Cubberly.

Grayson or Cubberly will take on No. 19 John-Martin Cannon, who rides a seven-match winning streak and is 3-0 in the MAC.