Beebe eyes NCAAs after two weight-class changes

Senior Conor Beebe knew he was in for a change this season after wrestling at 133 pounds his entire career — but did not know the extent of the switch.

CMU coach Tom Borrelli decided Beebe would drop down to 125 pounds before the season began. However, Beebe now will finish the season at 141.

“He has really progressed through the season,” Borrelli said. “I am happy with the way he has performed, especially with the challenge he has had.”

Senior Matt Steintrager battled Beebe for the starting spot at 125 to begin the season. The two split time at 125 until the end of December, when they faced each other at the Midlands tournament. Steintrager scored a 3-2 victory and secured the spot for the rest of the season.

Beebe then was forced to make another change. With sophomore Scotti Sentes ranked in the top 10 nationally in the 133-pound weight class, Beebe had to make a move to 141.

“Coach put me on a weight lifting plan to get bigger and add on a lot of muscle,” Beebe said. “It’s a lot more fun to get big than having to get small.”

Beebe struggled at his newest weight early in the first month of competition, losing to two nationally ranked opponents. However, an upset against then-ranked

No. 11 Germaine Lindsey (Ohio) has put him in position to win the MAC tournament and make a run at nationals.

“Every day in the practice room I am feeling 100 percent,” Beebe said. “I don’t have to cut a bunch of weight. It’s a really good feeling.”

One last shot

Beebe advanced to the national tournament every year despite never clinching a MAC title. The closest he came to the title was a runner-up finish last season to Kent State’s Dan Mitcheff.

“I am not going into the tournament thinking that it is going to be my last,” Beebe said. “I will have time after wrestling is over to look back on all my memories. But for this weekend, I am just taking it one match at a time.”

The senior has one last chance at a MAC title Saturday and Sunday at Rose Arena. The 141-pound weight class has been allocated just one spot into the NCAA Tournament, so Beebe will have to win the conference title to guarantee a spot at nationals.

“I am going into the tournament to win it,” Beebe said. “It has always been my goal to win the MAC tournament and get on the All-American pedestal at nationals, and my weight class doesn’t change that.”