Ongoing repairs kept within budget constraints

More than half of the 36 buildings on campus maintained through general funds scored a C or lower in an assessment of their condition conducted by facilities management.

Assessments are being updated to reflect changes in fire and electrical systems and updates to keep buildings in compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act. The last assessment was completed in 2003.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said low ratings do not necessarily mean buildings are in bad condition.

“Even if you have a very high or, in this case, a very low score in a building, you still have the structural integrity of the building,” he said. “The floors, the walls, the foundation and the roof are all still there, so there’s a lot of value in that building at that stage.”

Despite many structures being in average and below average condition, buildings received A’s more than any other grade in the assessment. Ten buildings netted grades of A or better of the 36.

The list includes buildings maintained through the general fund — not any residence halls. A building’s condition is determined by comparing how much it would cost to bring it up to perfect condition with the estimated cost of replacing the building altogether.

Ongoing maintenance

Linda Slater, director of plant engineering and planning, and Lawrence determine which buildings receive the most attention primarily based upon the Life Safety Code — a set of standards developed to prevent fires — building integrity, and input from staff. Their selections are approved by the Board of Trustees.

Lawrence said regularly maintained buildings do not require extensive repair, which is not feasible because of budget constraints.

Slater said facilities management uses other methods to keep buildings in good condition.

“We have ongoing preventative maintenance based on our budget to extend and protect the life of the building,” she said. “That is an ongoing part of our routine maintenance.”

Lawrence said he expects some grades to change after buildings are reassessed.

“By August, the grade for Brooks Hall should go up because we’ll have finished our mechanical, electrical and plumbing renovations,” Lawrence said.

Brooks currently has an E, one grade above failing, according to the assessment.

The assessment states it would cost about $134 million to bring all general fund buildings up to perfect condition. $134 million is about one-third of the current general fund budget.

Lawrence said the money granted to Facilities Management for bringing buildings up to like-new condition decreased to $6.4 million from $6.7 million between 2009 and 2010. In 2011, he expects the amount to decline.

“For fiscal year 2011, we expect to receive $5.5 million,” Lawrence said. “I would say that we’re fortunate. There are many, many schools in Michigan that do not have that significant of a deferred maintenance budget.”