Ponchos ordered for spring commencement; ceremonies to be outside rain or shine

Plastic — and perhaps ponchos — will be the clothing material of choice during the May 8 graduation.

The caps and gowns this year are made of 100 percent recyclable water bottles, said Director of Public Relations Steve Smith.

If it rains, ponchos will be available for use during the 2 p.m. Commencement Ceremony in Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

“Rain or shine, it will be outside,” said Mary Jane Flanagan, executive assistant to the president. “As a precaution, we have ordered clear plastic ponchos that graduates can wear over their robes.”

Based on past ceremonies, Flanagan said she is expecting about 1,800 to 2,200 graduates for the Saturday ceremony, but will not be certain until that day.

There will be seating available for about 800 to 1,000 people in the Indoor Athletic Complex with a TV feed to watch the ceremony, Flanagan said. It will be on a first come, first serve basis.

There will also be a live stream of the ceremony available for people to view.

“I feel like there should be some sort of accommodation. It’s kind of a big day for everybody,” said Nicole Warren. “We are just all crossing our fingers and hoping it doesn’t (rain).”

The Port Huron senior said she will probably walk even in bad weather, because she has many family members who will be in attendance. However, she is displeased Central Michigan University officials did not have a better backup plan, she said.

Sharon Russell, commencement coordinator, said the weather will be monitored for commencement.

“Our team will take in consideration the weather,” she said.

Russell estimates the ceremony will last about three hours and hopes everyone will be respectful and stay the entire time.

Graduates must meet at the turf bay in the IAC by no later than 1 p.m. on May 8 to receive their name cards and line up by degree type.

As of Thursday, weatherchannel.com’s 10-day forecast indicated a high of 68 degrees and sunny weather for May 8.

Plymouth senior Lisa Yount said she believes some graduates will not want to attend commencement if it is raining, but since she has family coming from all different areas, she will unless there is a thunderstorm.

“It’s not going to be fun, but I still have to do it,” she said.

Flanagan wants students to remember they will be walking on turf.

“Wear comfortable shoes,” she said. “Fashion’s important, but hopefully comfort will rule this one.”

For information on the May 8 lineup for bachelor, graduate and specialist degrees, as well as the May 7 ceremony for doctorate degrees, visit http://cmich.edu/commencement. There are also directions provided for the live stream.