LIFE IN BRIEF: Ross testifies to State House subcommittee on higher education

Public debates

CMU students enrolled in COM 267: Introduction to Debate will debate at 7 p.m. in Moore 206. Tonight’s topic will start with whether to outlaw the use of cell phones while driving and move on to national legalization of the death penalty. At 7:30 p.m. Friday they will debate affirmative action polices in U.S. higher education institutions.

Ross testifies to State House subcommittee

University President George Ross testified Monday to the Michigan House subcommittee on higher education appropriations. Ross said CMU’s current state appropriations are equal to those in 1999 and that CMU receives the fourth least state appropriations for public universities despite being the fourth largest one. Saginaw Valley State University President Eric Gilbertson also testified before the subcommittee.

Adult Softball League sign-ups

The deadline for signing up for men’s and co-ed softball is on April 23 or when the teams fill up. Parties interested in registering for recreation or competitive leagues can contact the parks and recreation office at (989) 779-5331 or visit www.mt-pleasant.org for more information.

Stress Out Day

Active Minds at CMU will host a day of relaxation from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday at Warriner Mall. Highlights will include stress ball making, caricature artists, free massages and refreshments to help students relieve stress before taking finals.

Salute to the troops fundraiser

College Republicans are hosting a non-partisan tribute to troops from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday at Central Park, west of the Charles V. Park Library. The event will specifically honor Company C of the Michigan Army National Guards’ 125th Infantry Division from Wyoming, which is currently serving in Afghanistan. Money and care package donations will be accepted.

Charity softball tournament

Alpha Sigma Alpha will hold a softball tournament for men, women and co-ed teams at 10 a.m. Saturday, the proceeds of which will benefit Special Olympics and the S. June Smith center. Registration is $40 per team or $70 for two teams from an RSO. Contact Katie Johnson at johns25k@cmich.edu for registration forms and further information.

Maintained accreditations

The school of accounting and the College of Business Administration have maintained their accreditation with the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. Only 593 or five percent of all schools of business worldwide have this accreditation, which must be internally reviewed every five years. Their achievement will be recognized at the 2010 AACSB International Conference in Anaheim, Calif.

Orchestra concert

The CMU orchestra will perform a concert of the concerto and composition competition winners from 8 to 9:30 p.m Thursday in the Music Building’s Staples Family Concert Hall. One of the featured pieces will be graduate student Justin Rito’s “Synthesis”

Personal finance seminar

Phi Sigma Pi will host a seminar on managing personal finance from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Charles V. Park Library auditorium. Students can receive tips from CMU alumnus and Waddell & Reed financial advisor Bryan Wieferich on paying off student loans, setting up a budget, and saving for the future.