Men's basketball team to open new Events Center against Temple

The CMU men's basketball team opens the university's new Events Center on Wednesday, Dec. 1 against Temple University.

CMU coach Ernie Zeigler confirmed the Chippewas will host the Owls in the facility's first game. Temple was ranked much of last season and entered the NCAA Tournament ranked No. 12 in the Associated Press Top 25. The No. 5-seeded Owls lost 78-65 against No. 12 seed Cornell and were eliminated in the first round.

"That will be the first home game," Zeigler said. "We won't be able to play a home game in November. There's going to be some growing there."

Temple finished the season 29-6 overall and 14-2 in the Atlantic 10 Conference. The Owls have made 27 NCAA Tournament appearances, reaching two final fours.

"They're going to be ranked, so that's going to be a huge game," said incoming CMU freshman Trey Zeigler, who signed a National Letter of Intent to play at CMU on Thursday morning.

Other games

Ernie Zeigler also confirmed CMU will play at UNLV after Christmas in December. CMU also will travel to LSU, which counts as the team's second non-conference 'guaranteed revenue' game. Zeigler said a third guarantee game has yet to be finalized. Under Zeigler's new contract, the revenue generated by this game would go directly back to the men's basketball program.

The Chippewas will host Detroit and South Dakota State in other non-conference action.