Skate War III will feature pro skateboarders; Free Island Park festivities begin July 17

July 17 marks a day Todd Levitt has looked forward to all year.

That is when some of the best skaters from around the country will face off against each other in one of the largest amateur skating competitions.

“Skate War III,” takes place July 17 and 18 at Island Park. Levitt, a local attorney and founder of Skate War, Inc., organized the competition three years ago. He expects it to bring thousands of spectators to Mount Pleasant.

If you go... - What: Skate War III - When: July 17-18 - Where: Island Park near downtown Mount Pleasant - Cost: Free - Registration: Available this month
Pro skaters Brian Aragon, Dre Powell and Andrew Hendricks will make guest appearances.

Levitt describes the event as “an amateur event with a pro flare.” The competition is split into two separate days, with one day each for boarding and blading.

The World Rolling Series, which consists of several skaters competing around the world, also will make an appearance during the tour.

Levitt said the attention the competition will bring to Mount Pleasant is just what he had in mind when he started organizing it.

Howell alumni Brad Battishill, a 24-year-old amateur skateboarder, said the event is a great bonding experience and opportunity for skateboarders to showcase themselves.

The competition also includes skate camps, exhibitions and a motorcycle show.

A skate crawl with all-you-can-eat chicken wings and a skate parade takes place prior to the competition.

“The event is actually so big this year that it’s more like a festival,” Levitt said.

The festivities start with a kick-off party by John Hunter, the owner of Wayside Central. Levitt said the entire event costs about $15,000 to $20,000.

“It takes a community to put this on for the kids,” he said. “We could not do it without the help of the hundreds of CMU students, and the local businesses and people in town.”

Richard Horgan, a 24-year-old Mount Pleasant native now living in Los Angeles, said he never had these kinds of events growing up.

“There was never a skate park near my house or any big competitions going on, so this is a really great way to help the kids out and give a little back,” Horgan said.

Horgan will travel back to Mount Pleasant for the event and will give out prizes during the competition.

Registration opens May 4. The event is free and winners will receive cash prizes.