Softball beats Toledo, outscores Rockets 19-3 in series

The Central Michigan softball team’s offense picked up where it left off, outscoring Toledo 10-2 Sunday to complete the series sweep.

Central (15-10, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) outhit its opponent 14-4 in the game and 28-7 in the weekend series against the Rockets. It outscored Toledo 19-3 in the two-game series.

Seven CMU batters contributed at least a hit in the win, sending three runners across the plate in the fifth inning, and four in he sixth to crush any comeback attempts after an early lead.

The team started the scoring in the second inning, after redshirt freshman catcher Brogan Darwin’s single to center field sent senior outfielder Amber Olejniczak home.

Toledo (7-24) returned the favor in the bottom of the inning following a two-out error by Darwin that put Toledo's Lindsey Tobias on third and scored a run. It brought the runner on third home before CMU got out of the inning.

Sophomore outfielder Ashley Gilson hit a solo home run over the left field fence in the fourth, and a two-run homer in the sixt. It gave her three home runs on the weekend and four on the season. She finished with four runs batted in.

Senior outfielder Katie Greenman and Freshman Summer Knoop each finished perfect at the plate, batting a combined 6-for-6 on the day. Greenman also added two RBIs.

Freshman Kara Dornbos pitched the first 3 and 1/3 innings, giving up two unearned runs on four hits, and striking out two. Junior Kari Seddon relieved her in the fourth and finished the game, striking out six without allowing a hit, advancing to 8-5 in 14 appearances.

Central heads to Muncie, Ind., for a 1 p.m. Friday game against Ball State in a doubleheader.