Unpaid internships could be illegitimate, Career Services says

Many students have internships lined up and ready to go as summer appraoches.

But students with unpaid internships may not be as ready as they think.

“There are so many devious ways, in the employer population, that prey on students to do labor to make income for themselves,” said Julia Sherlock, director of Career Services.

Sherlock said students should never accept an internship they have to put money up front for.

“If it feels funny, it is,” she said. “If you feel like a slave, walk out. You don’t have to stay there.”

Students should read and re-read everything before signing a contract. Although some internships have mass payoffs at the end that work for some students, these opportunities do not work for most.

“Never, ever have an internship that is unpaid without realizing what the requirements are up front,” Sherlock said, explaining her belief a legitimate organization would not offer an internship unpaid.

“I would be curious what the outcomes were,” she said.

Gary Gagnon, assistant professor of marketing and hospitality services, said the hospitality department only does paid internships.

“If they get one of our hospitality students who have studied this, and they only pay $9, they are going to get much, much more than $9 worth,” Gagnon said. “They are going to get a lot of value for what they are paying.”

Sherlock said some students have brought internships to Career Services’ attention in the past.

“We take an active role in investigating internships and have even banned some employers from campus,” Sherlock said.

Setting a standard

Recently, Career Services banned College Pro Painters from campus because it was not a legitimate employer, she said. Students would walk away with debt after working.

Sherlock said before employers are able to advertise through Central Michigan University, Career Services reviews the employer to make sure the person is a legitimate employer. If the place do not meet the criteria, it is denied.

“Our job is to maintain and make sure (the internship) is safe education and mentoring,” Sherlock said.

Gagnon said he has to approve all the internships his students find. He said he has been around a long time and has seen many of the same ones but, when a student finds a new one, he investigates it.

“They sign a contract about what the student is promised to do. If they don’t do these things, we contact them,” Gagnon said.

He said before students leave to go to their internships, he gives them his contact information and tells the students to contact him right away if there are any problems.

She said internship coordinators also are aware of who are legitimate employers.

“We exist to help students and encourage them to use the resources (they) are paying for,” Sherlock said. “We look for the best interest for our students to help make the transition from student to professional.”