Coffee houses abundant in Mount Pleasant

Back to school means back to the old grind of studying, pulling all-nighters and spending more of your time at a place that helps you stay awake.

There are many coffee houses in Mount Pleasant to go and get away from everything, suck down the espresso and cram for those tests.

Lonnie DeRosia, store co-manager of Biggby Coffee, 210 S. Mission St., said students are a big part of their business.

Mount Pleasant Coffee Shops

Biggby Coffee: 210 S. Mission St. 4445 E. Blue Grass Road Monday thru Saturday: 5:55 a.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday: 6:55 a.m. to 10 p.m.

University Cup: 1027 S. Franklin St. Daily: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Kaya Coffee House: 1029 S. University Ave. Monday thru Friday: 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Starbucks: 4097 E. Blue Grass Road 5655 E. Pickard St. Daily: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

DeRosia said students are now able to sit out on the patio with their laptops because Biggby has added power to the outside of their building.

University Cup Coffee Company, 1027 S. Franklin St., is another coffee house where students like to go to study and relax.

“We offer a relaxing atmosphere that is perfect to study in whether you’re a student or a professor,” said Sara Bohan, an Indiana senior.

They specialize in coffee, espresso, cappuccino, scones, muffins, sandwiches, soups and over 50 flavors of lattes, she said. The coffee house has been in Mount Pleasant since 1995 and calls itself the “Original Coffee House of Mount Pleasant.”

Kaya Coffee and Tea Company, 1029 South University Ave., is also popular among students.

“There are high school students and college students and people just hanging out,” said Mount Pleasant senior Meghan Borland. “We have featured artists and we have music here two nights a week.”

George Tijerina, store manager of Starbucks, 5655 E. Pickard St., said students like to go to Starbucks because it is just far enough away to get away from everything.

“Friday and Saturday are our biggest days in terms of students,” Tijerina said He added Starbucks now has free internet access, which reaches to the patio.

Starbucks will also be adding an exam cram during finals weeks, where they will be open extended hours.