"Get Acquainted Day" brings together diversity focused organizations

1
Bangor junior Sloan Adams, right, smiles with Houghton Lake senior Rita Nieman as she watches Common Ground Dance Team perform at Get Acquainted Day Wednesday in Warriner Mall. "My roommate was out there, we wanted to come watch her dance," Adams said.

Denise Green wants students at Central Michigan University to come together in more than just the pursuit of a degree.

“Get Acquainted Day,” held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the Warriner Mall, invited dozens of minority organizations to gather, recruit, catch up and get their names out across campus.

“It’s a really good chance for Central Michigan University’s community to come together, people get to know other people and learn about services and organizations from the city and government,” said Green, associate vice president of Institutional Diversity.

Several sororities, fraternities, local businesses and volunteer organizations attended the multicultural event.

Toya Lewis, Detroit senior and president of the Sophisticated Women of Color sorority, thought of “Get Acquainted Day” as not just an opportunity to increase recognition but also to put her passion for her program to work.

“Our sorority supports each other. We’re sisters and I want to make people feel like I’m a shoulder to lean on,” Lewis said.  “We welcome everybody and we don’t turn anyone away.”

As well as showcasing organizations, there were several festival-style attractions including free food, blow up toys, bounce houses and some new surprises including tarot card readings.

About 2,000 students attended the event.

Lake Orion freshman Sarah Donetti was pleased with the more intimate atmosphere of the day. She said it made it easier to learn about each individual group than struggling against the comparative chaos of the MAINstage crowd.

“It’s good to get a refresher of what’s out there, it’s much less mobbed than MAINstage,” Donetti said.

Keisha Janney, assistant director of Minority Student Services, said the event served not to just embrace and highlight the minority community but to encourage friendship and connection between all students who decided to visit.

“People get connected and get to know people different from themselves,” Janney said.