Off the field: Field hockey's Erin Dye

Erin Dye is a sophomore midfielder on the CMU field hockey team. The Missouri native played in all 21 games last season and finished second on the team with 13 points.

Justin Hicks: As an upperclassman, what advice do you give freshmen starting college life? Erin Dye: I think being open to meeting a variety of people, keeping an open mind and make sure you get the most out of all your classes by getting to know your professors. Make the most of dorm life and meet your neighbors, too, because it’s an experience you won’t get again.

JH: Why did you pick CMU? ED: I picked (CMU) because I got a good offer to play field hockey. In comparison, the other schools I got in (to) has a lot of my friends from high school and I’d know the people there. I figured if I went to (CMU) it would be a completely different experience. It’s a school where I didn’t know a soul, and I knew it would be an experience I might never have again. (I) figured if I didn’t like it I could just go home.

JH: What are you studying at CMU? ED: I’m studying political studies and marketing double major. I am more interested in politics and I think that I’d like to use those degrees to get into politics at some point, whether it be working for an elected official or on a campaign or in an office. I interned this summer for a senator, and I worked in the office answering mail and doing constituent type services and it was something I could see myself doing after college.

JH: If you didn’t play field hockey, what sport would you play? ED: I would play soccer, for sure. I played soccer, actually, as my main sport for my entire life. I just got a little sick of it my junior year and decided to switch to field hockey.

JH: Do you have any pregame rituals or routines? ED: I always try and listen to music before, and usually all the same songs so that I have the same mindset going into every game. I always listen to the song “Aaron’s Party” by Aaron Carter (laughs), though all my friends make fun of me for it. I’ve been listening to a lot of up beat songs like Bruno Mars’ “I’ve Got the Magic in Me.” Just up beat songs that hopefully keep the same momentum that you’re playing with.

JH: I’m not sure I agree with the whole Aaron Carter thing but… ED: But my name’s Erin so it helps, right?

JH: Who would you consider your favorite pro athlete? ED: Maybe Landon Donovan. Although I got sick of playing soccer myself, it’s the only sport I seriously enjoy watching because I think there’s a lot of mental game that goes into it and I love watching it. He controls a lot of the US’ game and I really enjoy watching him play.

JH: When you’re not on the field, what do you do around campus? ED: Around campus I joined the business fraternity Alpha Capa Si. I keep myself busy with a heavy course load and field hockey though. I took 18 credits last semester and I plan to for the rest of my time here.

JH: Talking to someone who knows nothing about field hockey, how would you describe the sport? ED: I think the game is most similar to soccer, positioning and passing wise, so I like to say it’s just soccer with a wooden stick.

JH: If you could eat dinner with any three people, present or past, which would they be? ED: I would say Sen. Claire McCaskill. She’s who I interned for this summer and I only met a couple times, but I would like to have a better chance to speak with her. Also, my religion teacher from high school who passed away this past year. She was one of my favorite people ever. And Morgan Freeman.

JH: Why Morgan Freeman? ED: (Laughs) For no apparent reason at all; I just kind of like him.