Volleyball picked to win MAC West Division, regular season title

The Central Michigan volleyball team will have some high expectations to live up to in the 2010 season.

CMU was picked Friday by the coaches to win the Mid-American Conference West Division and regular season championship. The team received seven first-place votes, ahead of rival Western Michigan (five votes).

Northern Illinois, Toledo, Ball State and Eastern Michigan round out the preseason poll's West Division.

The Chippewas, however, were not selected to win the MAC tournament.

Ohio, also picked to win the East Division, garnered six votes to win the conference tournament, scheduled for Nov. 19-21 in Toledo, Ohio. CMU received two votes.

CMU begins the regular season on Aug. 27 against Northern Iowa at the Purdue Mortar Board Premier tournament in West Lafayette, Ind. The Chippewas ended the 2009 season 17-13 overall and second in the West Division.

2010 MAC Volleyball Preseason Coaches Poll

West Division: 1. Central Michigan (7) 2. Western Michigan (5) 3. Northern Illinois 4. Toledo 5. Ball State 6. Eastern Michigan

East Division: 1. Ohio (10) 2. Miami (2) 3. Buffalo 4. Kent State 5. Bowling Green 6. Akron

MAC Regular Season Champion: Central Michigan (5). Also receiving votes: Ohio (3), Western Michigan (2) and Miami (2).

MAC Tournament Champion: Ohio (6). Also receiving votes: Central Michigan (2), Western Michigan (2) and Miami (2).