Baseball wins exhibition game

baseball01
Leah Sefton/Staff Photographer Sophomore second baseman tags out Ontario's James Roffey during Friday's exhibition game at Theunissen Stadium.

The Central Michigan baseball team got an early glance at the 2011 roster Friday, defeating the Ontario Blue Jays 13-8 in a 12-inning exhibition game at Theunissen Stadium.

Sophomore infielder Jordan Dean had two runs batted in and three runs scored in the win. Junior pitcher Trent Howard started the game, allowing one earned run before junior Zach Cooper took over, pitching five and 2/3 innings of shutout baseball.

"As far as overall pitching performance, I thought it went well," said head coach Steve Jaksa. "(Cooper) was sharp all the way so, overall, I thought we pitched them pretty good."

The Chippewas scored four runs in the first two innings, but were held scoreless until the eighth when they added five runs to extend their lead.

Junior shortstop Tyler Hall had a double and a triple in the game, helping CMU take a 13-3 into the final inning.

The Blue Jays would score five runs in the 12th inning off junior pitcher Harvey Martin. The outing was Martin’s first in over a year after missing all of last season due to injury.

CMU continues offseason workouts before holding its annual Fall World Series Oct. 8-19 at Theunissen Stadium.

Pick up Monday's CM Life for expanded coverage of the game.