Central Michigan Life nominated a Pacemaker finalist

Central Michigan Life was named a 2010 national Pacemaker Award finalist for the eighth time in nine years.

Only 22 college entries out of 300 become finalists for the four-year, non-daily category announced by the Associated Collegiate Press.

Brian Manzullo, 2009-10 editor in chief, said the Pacemaker Award is considered the highest national achievement in collegiate journalism.

“The criteria for judging covers just about everything,” he said. “Being nominated as a finalist is a great honor. But winning the award relies on the effort of the entire staff.”

The most successful newspapers showed excellence in quality of writing and reporting, coverage and content, opinion page leadership, in-depth reporting, layout and design, photography, art and graphics, according to the Associate Collegiate Press.

The eighth Pacemaker nomination in nine years shows a continued string of strong editors and reporters who have worked at the publication, Manzullo said.

“The staff from fall to spring changes a lot each year,” he said. “Being nominated for this award again shows consistency in the journalism program.”

Neil Hopp, director of student media, said the criteria for judging is the most comprehensive in any national competition.

“Every aspect of the newspaper is looked at during this competition,” he said. “Half or fewer of the 22 finalists will meet all the criteria for judging,”

Central Michigan Life will be competing against several other colleges throughout the nation, including The Golden Gate Press from San Francisco State University, The Columbia Chronicle from Columbia College and The News-Letter from Johns Hopkins University.

The winners will be announced Oct. 30. at the 89th annual Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Advisers National College Media Convention in Louisville, Ky.