‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ rally draws 100 near Park Library; reception mixed

sw_dadtrally_03
Sara Winkler/Staff Photographer Students surround Owosso junior Sarah Winchester, political co-chair of CMU

CMU students gathered Monday to protest the U.S. military’s upholding of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” a week after its repeal was rejected.

About 100 opponents of the policy gathered outside Charles V. Park Library to let their voices be heard on the issue.

On Sept. 21, efforts to repeal the military’s 17-year-old ban on gays serving openly in uniform fell short of earning the 60 votes needed with the Senate voting 56-43 to keep it.

College Democrats treasurer and Midland senior Adam Federspiel took the microphone and described his frustration with the decision by senators and the situation in the military.

“We’re here to bring awareness of the failure by senators to repeal the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy,” he said, with his statement echoed by boos from the crowd.

The gay and straight alliance group Sprectrum was behind the decision to organize a rally after hearing the results of the recent vote.

“I’m really happy to be doing this. There are a lot of excited people here,” said Owosso junior Sarah Winchester. “I can’t express my disappointment with our leaders right now.”

As Winchester took the microphone, she said many Americans serve for years hiding their relationships. It is a case of little support by leaders for a large majority of people.

“I’m here to make a statement that our leaders have wronged us,” she said.

The crowd of repeal supporters chanted, “Love, not hate, don’t discriminate,” throughout the rally.

“I think the rally went very well,” said Bloomfield Hills junior Alex Meyers. “I would have liked to see more participation from non-Specturm members, but overall it was a success.”

A portion of the rally was also devoted to expressing support for the passing of the DREAM Act.

The proposed bill would grant conditional citizenship to undocumented immigrants who arrive in the country under age 16. The individuals must complete two years of service in the military or two years at a four-year college or university.

“I think the DREAM Act is a great idea,” Meyers said. “America is meant to be the land of the free and if these immigrants are putting time and effort into attending a university, then we as a country should grant them citizenship at least.”