Family Fun Ride raises about $10,000 for Isabella County United Way

jt-unitedway-004
Joe Tobianski/Staff Photographer Miles Coffland, left, Mike Demos, Joel Bollinger, Benjamin Rollenhagen, and Nathan Wernette ride into Island Park on Saturday afternoon finishing there 100 mile bike ride. "It was a great experience to ride with such great people", says Rollenhagen.

Gloomy weather didn’t bring down the spirits of volunteers and participates Saturday at the United Way Family Fun Ride.

One hundred people showed up to demonstrate their support during the 3-mile bike ride, despite the pouring rain. Theresa Ruper, board of directors president for the United Way of Isabella County, said she was very excited about the turn out.

“We raised about $10,000 in money and in kindness (donations),” she said. “This just wouldn’t have worked without everyone here, sponsors and participants.”

Many attendants were seen walking around smiling and conversing before the start of the ride.

Kyle Joseph, a Mason freshman, and Kris Lawrence, a Washington freshman, said the event was a great way to get out and give back.

“It’s United Way,” Joseph said. “I like to help out organizations like this and give back.”

Many other riders shared the same feelings toward the event.

Biking-enthusiast Duane Ling attended the event with his mother. He said it was great that they were giving helmets to kids as part of the event.

“We are big sponsors of United Way. We also love biking, so it was a great event for us,” the Mount Pleasant resident said. “It’s a good cause and United Way just does all sorts of things for the community.”

The United Way may make this an annual event, Rupert said.

Many other attendees came with their families, including some who hadn’t even know about the event.

Amanda Morgan and her family were already out for a bike ride when they learned of fun ride, she said.

“We just found out about it this morning,” the Mount Pleasant resident said. “We wanted to go out for a bike ride together for the cold weather came and then my son found out about this before we left.”