Minority Student Services assistant director position filled after interim’s departure

Minority Student Services has welcomed a new employee to its office, after a search process that did not include any open forums.

Keisha Janney began working for Central Michigan University in early August after moving from Washington. She takes over for former interim assistant director Lester Booker Jr., who accepted a job as a community relations assistant with the Detroit Pistons and formerly worked with cultural programming at MSS.

Sean Novak, the second assistant director of MSS, said Janney impressed the search committee while visiting campus. However, public forums for the candidates were never announced prior to Janney’s hiring.

“Keisha was selected for this position because of her previous experience working in a higher education setting, working with students in a fast-paced environment and her knowledge of different cultural groups in the United States,” Novak said in an e-mailed statement. “She demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and the academic, personal, intellectual development of all students, faculty and staff.”

Novak did not comment on the specifics of the search process.

“Joining the MSS Family has been amazing,” Janney said. “I’m really enjoying my job and everyone has been very warm and welcoming.”

Janney is one of two assistant directors at MSS.

She recently finished her fourth year as a residence hall coordinator at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Wash.

Janney also advised a number of different student groups while at her previous position. Such groups include Casa Latina Living Learning Community, Asian Pacific Islander American Living Learning Community and the Gay and Lesbian Association at CWU.

“For this year, I’m looking forward to bringing some great events to CMU for our students, faculty and staff,” Janney said.

Novak said Janney also seems to have the personality and poise to work effectively with students and the broader community.

Janney said she has fun exploring the area in her free time.

“I also really like going to see college sports events,” Janney said. “I already have football tickets.”