Phi Mu sorority enjoying new Main Street home this semester

jms-phimusorority-04-web
Jeff Smith/Staff Photographer Phi Mu members Monroe senior Brittany Coxon, left, gets a hug from Cedar Springs sophomore Sam Wysocki Tuesday in the living room of their new house, 702 S. Main St. ONLINE CAPTION: Phi Mu members St. Louis senior Kelly Shinabargar, left, and Southgate senior Katie Bryne watch a video as Monroe senior Brittany Coxon gets a hug from Cedar Springs sophomore Sam Wysocki Tuesday in the living room of their new house, 702 S. Main St.

Phi Mu has started the school year off with an extreme makeover.

A new two-story house was approved for construction by the Mount Pleasant City Commission last December and completed this summer.

The home is located on the corner of Main Street and High Street and also features a newly finished basement. It contains 12 bedrooms, six bathrooms, a double-kitchen and two laundry rooms.

Essexville junior Meghan Wisniewski is one of the twelve sisters who lives in the house. The upgrade from their original building was met with a large amount of excitement, she said.

“It was old and run down,” Wisniewski said. “It didn’t have enough space for us.”

Former sorority adviser Heather Peasley is very pleased with the house. “You can’t miss it,” Peasley said. “It is big and beautiful and I love it.”

After many years in the old house, they began looking for an upgrade.

First, landlord Joe Olivieri sent a letter to all of the sororities on campus, asking if any of them would want a new house.

Olivieri owned the set of apartments, which were previously on the plot of land where the new Phi Mu house now stands. He wanted to tear the apartments down and build a house, Wisniewski said.

Phi Mu saw it as the perfect opportunity.

After they decided they wanted to try and get the house, they formed a housing committee. The committee consisted of six Phi Mu members who volunteered because they were interested in the project.

“I was the liaison between the alumni house corporation and our chapter,” Wisniewski said.

Olivieri did all the work regarding the property and building, while the sorority members did the rest of the work.

Phi Mu has big plans for their new big house.

“We’re hoping to have different philanthropy events here,” Wisniewski said. “And also lots of recruitment activities.”