Softball splits doubleheader against Ferris State over weekend

The Central Michigan softball team wrapped up its fall ball schedule Sunday by splitting a doubleheader against Ferris State, improving to 3-3-1.

With its offense finally coming to play, CMU won the first game 9-3 before dropping the finale 3-4 despite a strong comeback push late in the game.

In the opening game, both of CMU’s catchers, freshman Cory DeLamielleure and sophomore Brogan Darwin, hit home runs.

“I was really impressed with our offense,” said CMU head coach Margo Jonker. “It’s the first time this fall that I thought our offense was been right there. We have signs of power and we definitely have some speedsters on the team.”

In the second game, CMU was down early, but seemed to spark late in the game.

Junior shortstop Molly Coldren homered in the sixth inning to cut the Ferris State lead to two runs. The team added another run in the seventh, but was unable to send the tying run home, despite loading the bases.

“One of the biggest things we’ve found is we have a lot of depth on the team,” said senior second baseman Brittini Merchant. “If someone can’t get a job done, someone else can and will step up.”

Jonker was impressed with how the team faired in its two weeks of fall play, especially the pitching unit.

The group is lead by fifth-year senior Kari Seddon, who did not give up a single run in the seven fall games the team played in.

She finished the 2010 campaign with a 16-10 record and 2.56 ERA, a year after having Tommy John surgery.

“I think Kari’s back,” Jonker said. “We’re in good shape in the circle and have a staff that’s very different from each other.”

With nine freshman on the roster and six sophomores, the team may be young, but it has a strong group of upperclassmen leaders, including Merchant.

“Brittini has certainly been showing (leadership skills) so far in the fall.” Jonker said. “She’s worked really hard in the mental game and can really be the heart of the team.”

The team will have five months of preparation time before the spring season gets underway.

“I think we’ve seen a lot of great things,” Jonker said. “I also think we need to do an immense amount of work to get where we want to be, but I’m encouraged that with the right frame of mind we will get there.”